Is black mold on my walls bad? Not every black mold is bad but all molds should be treated as potential health hazards. The only way to tell whether the mold is bad or not is to have it tested by a qualified mycologist (i.e., a person who is qualified to correctly identify yeasts and molds). But regardless of whether the mold is of health concern or not it should be removed for a number of good reasons. First, mold damages any organic material it grows on. Secondly, mold is unsightly and we don’t want to see it growing on the walls of our houses.
Does black mold need moisture to grow?
Black mold must have both food and moisture to survive. It grows when there is unresolved water damage due to something like leaky pipes or chronic persistent humidity in certain areas in the building such as in the shower room, kitchen or basement. Some homeowners attempt to avoid excessive moisture by installing a humidity sensor to detect dangerous levels that might trigger the formation of black mold. If there has been any recent flooding and the water was not properly dried, then it would be wise to check those areas for possible mold growth.
Can black mold grow on concrete?
Black mold cannot grow on concrete. It grows on almost all organic materials particularly those containing cellulose such wood, wallpaper, drywall, carpet, adhesives, fabric, and cotton insulation. Any faint discolorations, regardless of color, may suggest a serious mold problem.
How to remove black mold
Black mold can be easily removed from non-porous surfaces, such as marble tiles, counter tops, and other hardened surfaces through simple scrubbing with household detergent. You may scrub the area with a hard brush to remove the mold, being sure to remove any remaining residue with clean water. Porous materials cannot be cleaned and should be replaced with new uncontaminated material.
How does black mold spread?
Black mold produces and spreads by releasing spores into the air. The spores are so small they are invisible to the naked eye. Once in the air, these spores can travel throughout your house, from one room to the next, and settle on carpets, walls or other surfaces. If the conditions are favorable, the spores will start to grow and more mold will appear. One small patch of mold growth left untouched or poorly dealt with can spread and ultimately infest an entire home, often in places you are unable to see.
Black mold in the home is a common problem and a major annoyance to eliminate. Black mold is basically the same thing as mildew. Sometimes black mold is referred to as toxic mold , but this is incorrect. No mold is toxic or poisonous in and of itself, though some kinds of mold are toxigenic, meaning that they produce toxic compounds called mycotoxins (myco=fungal). Even so, any mold, whether black or some other color, may have aggravating side effects on air quality and the health of residents. Several indoor molds appear black and hence use of the term “Black Mold” when referring to the mold scientifically called Stachybotrys is incorrect as well.
It is important to remember that mold growth is an indication of moisture problem. Therefore, the key to controlling mold growth indoors is to eliminate moisture.