White mold in basement after flooding or prolonged dampness is easily identified by the characteristic white cottony mycelium of the mold that grows on the surfaces water damaged organic material. Efflorescence is often mistaken for white mold in basement concrete because they look a lot alike. In fact, to the untrained eye, efflorescence is almost identical to white mold. Moisture and dampness moving through basement concrete can cause spalling and degradation of the concrete. The signs of efflorescence and the white deposits are not mold. But the evidence of the efflorescence does indicate the presence of moisture. Moisture can and does support the growth of mold. So even though efflorescence is not white mold, it does indicate that there is moisture problem and hence most likely mold growth on organic material.
What is White Mold?
White mold can’t be categorized as any one type of mold because many molds start off as white, or a fairly close and light color, and then change color with age and especially after they produce spores. Like any other mold, white mold needs to be removed from your home and preventative measures need to be taken to prevent any further growth of mold and mildew.
Where Can White Mold Grow?
White mold can form on wood essentially because of dampness either in the wood or in the environment surrounding the wood. It spreads rapidly because wood is an organic substance which provides everything white mold needs to thrive on. White mold is found on wooden shutters, floors, panels and furniture. White Mold in basement is also common because the conditions are favorable for mold to thrive.
Is there a way to tell if you have white mold or efflorescence?
Yes! Wearing gloves, take a sample of the “white substance” and drop it in a cup of water. If it dissolves, it most likely is efflorescence. If it does not dissolve, it might be mold. In either case, you should take care of moisture problem because it’s the main cause of mold growth.
If you take care of moisture problem and white mold keeps returning or you continue to suffer from allergic reactions, hire a professional to investigate further. A professional will be able to detect mold in your home that you didn’t even realize was there, as well as get rid of mold in hard-to-reach areas. Professional would be able to recommend the best way to get rid of the mold more quickly and efficiently since they know what to look for, where to look, and how to get rid of it.