Blue mold may appear growing on bathroom walls and ceiling. Usually other types of mold will also appear but the blue mold could be the dominant type. It is difficult to identify mold by its color. However the common types of blue mold in a house are Penicillium and Aspergillus. Aspergillus and Penicillium are very common types of mold in houses because most of them do not need a lot of moisture to grow. Blue-green mold is very common on citrus fruits such as oranges.
How to remove blue mold from bathroom walls
Mold removal procedure is the same regardless of the color of the mold. Also the health effects of molds does not depend on the color of the mold. If the blue mold is growing on non-porous surfaces like metal, glass, bathtubs, toilets, and tile floors and does not cover more than 10 square feet, you can clean it up with household detergent. Since it’s difficult to remove mold completely from porous surfaces such as those of drywall, ceiling tiles, insulation, and carpet, those materials should be removed and replaced with new uncontaminated materials. Care should be taken not to contaminated other areas of the house during mold removal. If the blue mold covers more than 10 square foot, we recommend you hire a mold removal company. Even for small amounts of visible mold it is important you are sure there is no hidden mold behind the walls. The 80/20 rule suggests that 80% of the mold is not visible which means that if you see 5 square feet of visible mold on drywall, there could be another 20 square feet of mold growth behind the drywall.
Health effects of blue mold on bathroom wall
As mentioned earlier the color of mold does not determine whether a mold is a health hazard or not. Generally all molds should be treated as potential health hazards and should not be allowed to grow in occupied spaces. Species of Aspergillus and Penicillium are known to produce toxic compounds called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are harmful to humans and animals. Mold spores including those of blue mold can cause allergic reactions to sensitive people when inhaled.