The best way to get rid of mold depends on how much mold is present and where it is located. If there is extensive mold growth on furnishings or materials that cannot be easily cleaned, simply discard the materials. Moldy materials are not considered hazardous waste. They can be sent to a regular landfill. However, seal the mold material in heavy plastic to protect the people who handle it in transit and prevent spreading large amounts of the mold into the building as you carry the material out of it.
If the mold is on a hard surface such as concrete or wood but occupies less than 10 square feet wash the area with soapy water (scrubbing with a brush may be necessary), rinse and allow the area to dry before repainting. If you have asthma, severe allergies and a weakened immune system get someone else to do the clean up.
Larger areas (greater than 10 square feet in area) should be cleaned by someone with experience in doing this type of work. It’s important to determine what caused the moisture problem and correct that problem to prevent mold growth from recurring.