A lot of people don’t know how to get rid of mould properly and after a couple of weeks they realize that mould came back. You have to know what you are doing when cleaning a mould, especially if you have a black mould (Stachybotrys) which can be dangerous to your health. It’s hard to disregard mould growth because it is unsightly and may also be causing damage to you and your family’s health. Mould is understood to trigger off allergies, sinus illnesses, asthma, breathing illnesses, headaches, and even cancer. We all know how frustrating to get rid of mould can be. However you do not have to run away from the reality but face it. Therefore, you need to learn how to get rid of mould especially if it is in your home or office.
To get rid of mould is important because exposure to mould can end up in significant health issues. The degree of allergic reactions depends on the immune system of people exposed to mould. Common indicators of mould allergy are runny or stuffy nose, watery eyes with itching sensation, rash, coughing and panting, headache, chest congestion, respiration difficulties and many others. Situation goes worse for immuno-compromised individuals. Some mould species produce mycotoxins which are toxic to humans and animals.
Most people think they know how to get rid of mould in their houses, right? They think to get rid of mould you just pour some bleach on it and it goes away, until the next time that you need to pour bleach on it again. Unfortunately, this simple chemicals approach to dealing with mould is a prevalent attitude of some companies in he mould remediation industry. This is unfortunate, because most chemicals have been proven to be ineffective against mould in the long run. Furthermore, the use of chemicals fails to correct the original reason why the mould grew there in the first place. Chemical use also introduces additional air pollution into the indoor air.
How To Get Rid of Mould
Once you discover mould in your house or office you need to remove it. If you have never tried to get rid of mould before, you may need some professional advice. Before approaching a professional, it is good to understand what getting rid of mould entails. The first place to look for any kind of information is the net. By doing a little online research you will find tons of websites giving effective recommendations on how to get rid of mould. Unfortunately, there are also many websites that provide incorrect information depending on their interests. Government, universities or organization sites can be trusted. Having educated yourself on how to get rid of mould, you can then seek professional advice and be able to ask questions.
Getting rid of mould is a three-part process: remove the mould, remove the food source, and eliminate moisture. Depending on the level of contamination, this may require hiring a mould removal company. You can clean small amounts of mould yourself. To remove small amounts of mould, use a stiff brush, a nonammonia detergent, and hot water to scrub mould off nonporous surfaces. Never brush down or scrape dry mould or do anything to make it airborne. Always wear a good quality mask, gloves and disposable coveralls or old clothes. Make sure the area is gently (no fan) ventilated and no one else is present. Move or cover any objects or furniture. Always wear a mask and protective gear while scraping away mould. Make sure you dry and ventilate the area to prevent mould from returning. Mould is considered to be “small amounts” if the patch covered by mould growth is no larger than a square meter. There should be no more than three patches, each patch smaller than a square meter. Clean up small areas yourself using a detergent solution, household rubber gloves and a dust mask for protection.
Moulds also grow on certain fabrics like cotton, wool and silk. To get rid of mould in these kind of materials is not easy. In fabrics, brushing off the moulds isn’t enough. It is smart to clean or dry-clean them before reusing. Fabrics like silk and wool need to be dry-cleaned. The cotton fabrics can be washed using mild non-chlorine bleaches. Wash the garments well before hanging them out to dry. It is a good idea to dry the washed cloths in daylight.
If you chance to notice mould in carpets and furniture upholstery, employ a HEPA vacuum cleaner to get rid of the mould. Air the carpets and cushions once per week. Do the same with the duvets and the blankets. Mould is also often found in leather products like bags and shoes that haven’t been used for a while. If the leather products are not badly damaged, they can be wiped with alcohol wipes.
The only permanent way of getting rid of mould and to stop it from occurring once again in the long run is to identify the primary source of moisture or chronic humidity and correct it. If the moisture problem is not dealt with and stopped then the mould growth will reoccur again or even get worse.
Cleaning mould from porous items like soft furnishings, pillows, carpets and unpainted plasterboard is difficult so you may want to consider replacement if the mould is bad. Due to the buildup of organic materials on pillows which attract dust mites, bacteria and mould, it is recommended that they be replaced every year (in hot climates) anyway so there’s a good excuse to buy new.
How to prevent mould growth
To prevent growth of mould, you need to locate the source of water and correct the problem and then dry the affected areas. Don’t cook with lids off your pans, don’t let the kettle boil and keep the room well ventilated.
You may even need a de-humidifier. The important thing is, deal with condensation quickly, so mould cannot form. Regularly inspect for mould growth. Mould growth is likely to appear whitish, bluish, greenish, greyish or black. Mould flourish in damp areas specifically those which are unventilated. Basements, crawlspace, closets, as well as bathrooms are possible places to find mould. Look for the problem in the lower part of your walls. You will notice the problem if your walls start to become discoloured, feel damp to the touch, or even start to smell a bit. Any paint or wallpaper on the walls may start to blister and peel off.
A dehumidifier can do a great job of reducing the humidity in your home, thus reducing the risk of mould growth. When you first turn the dehumidifier on, set it to the driest setting possible to stabilize the room’s humidity. You can learn more on how to get rid of mould by referring to the various government or industry organization mould guidelines available online.